Top Ten Scooters is user-supported. If you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission, which contributes to the site’s running costs.
Electric powered commuting devices like skateboards, hoverboards and scooters are taking over and changing the way people are commuting today.
Instead of walking, we can hop on our little yet powerful toy and reach our destination faster and more conveniently.
Best Electric Scooter for adults 2018
I know it is really difficult when we want to buy some next generation tech. Most of them are produced by startup firms who may not have that much reputation in the market.
An electric scooter is no exception. It’s a next generation tech used by many of us for short distance commute. But when we go out to buy one, we get confused with so many names and each has something different to offer. Besides, we all have a different use for it.
Well, don’t worry. We will help and guide you to choose exactly the right electric scooter for you.
We have shortlisted seven of the best scooters (out of nearly a hundred) out there in the market and from all segments, and we are pretty much sure you will find the best scooter for your need among them.
Okay now, let’s go straight to the point and look at what we have.
|Scooter||Max Speed [mph]||Max Range [miles]||Weight [lbs]|
|E-Twow S2 Booster||18||21||23|
Glion Dolly Model 215 – Best one to carry with you
Dolly is a serious piece of kit which is intended for use by adults commuting to work. It was featured on the popular crowdfunding website Kickstarter where the firm raised over $50,000 to bring the product to the market.
Glion Dolly Model 215 is a sleek looker that packs a punch with it’s compact and foldable features. The best thing we loved about this scooter is the retractable handle and 2 mini rolling wheels in trolley mode.
Though priced a little higher, if you want a good looking scooter loaded with features, you should go for this one.
Glion also fixed all of the complaints they were getting with their previous models which include slow charging of the batteries.
Let’s look at some of the features Glion packed in the Dolly.
- The battery inside Dolly is a good one. The 36V 6.6ah Li-ion battery has 30 Sony nmc cells inside. The charging time of this battery is only around 3.5 hours for 100%.
- With the battery fully juiced up, you can get a range up to 15 miles on a single charge.
- This scooter is equipped with a 250 W brushless electric hub motor attached to the rear wheel. This motor is powerful enough to take the maximum cruising speed up to 15 miles an hour.
- This scooter comes with 8-inch honey comb tires which as per Glion will never go flat.
- The controls are nicely placed on the handle bar and easy to use. All these controls are also water resistant.
- The body is also made of aluminum and the manufacturer claims that it is power coated to resist corrosion.
- This scooter weighs only 28lbs which make it light enough to carry. It also features retractable handle and roller wheels which make this the best scooter to carry around conveniently.
Swagtron Swagger – The Perfect Scooter
In case you have not heard of Swagtron before, it is one of the best manufacturers of hoverboards in the market. When the hoverboard market was clouded with all the battery related controversies, Swagtron was the first company to come up with an explosion-proof hoverboard battery.
Recently they have entered in the electric scooter market with a very nice product, Swagger. It is very portable yet packed with some decent features.
Just like Swagtron’s hoverboards, this scooter is UL2272 certified, that means it is completely safe from any battery issues.
A well-crafted design, impressive specification and a budget price tag, the Swagger really does have it all. On top of that, you also get an option of choosing your ride from three different colors.
The best part is this scooter weighs only 17lbs, thanks to the carbon fiber body.
In my opinion, this is the best electric kick scooter if we consider all the aspects. If you are not sure whether you want the scooter for your day to day commute or just for fun, you should definitely go for this one as it is well built for both the purposes and will also save you a lot of money.
- Swagger comes with UL2272 Certified 24v 3800 mAh Lithium-Ion battery. The certification ensures better safety and security.
- Equipped with a 3 Speed 250 Watt motor, you can ride this scooter at a maximum speed of 15 miles an hour.
- It also features a cruise control mode.
- This scooter is built in a very nice carbon fiber folding frame and weighs mere 17lbs.
- This scooter can go up to a range of 15 miles while supporting up to 250lbs.
- The digital backlit led control panel allows you to view your motor scooters speed, cycle through gears and displays battery life. A LED headlight is also there.
Razor E300 – Most affordable scooter
This is a very basic electric kick scooter. Though not featuring any of the fancy features, this scooter made it to our list just because of the price-tag.
E300 is the upgraded model of Razor E200 and Razor’s fastest scooter model and with a twist on the throttle it will reach up to 15 mph.
Razor packed two 12V rechargeable lead-acid battery in this model, so you can ride this scooter for 40 minutes without the need to plug it into a power source.
Keep in mind that this scooter does not have any lights or lock and does not even come with a charging adapter. Also, there is no sort of indicator on this, so we cannot even tell how much juice is left on the battery. This is a very basic model and made it to our list because of the price at which they are offering an electric kick scooter.
If you are looking for something for your day-to-day use in your commute, then this scooter is not for you. But if you want to cruise around the neighborhood and have fun with kids on weekend without digging a hole in your pocket, then without any second thought go for this one.
- This scooter comes with a high torque, chain driven motor that offers a maximum speed of 15 mph.
- The battery on it can last up to 40 minutes of continuous use.
- E300 comes with a twist grip acceleration control along with hand operated rear brake.
- This scooter also features an extra wide 10-inch pneumatic tire for more comfort and control.
- It can support a rider weighing up to 220lbs.
E-Twow S2 Booster – Feature Packed
Being a pricey product, S2 Booster features some very compelling features, at least on the specs sheet. E-Twow claims that they are using some of the very modern technologies in this scooter unlike none of their competitors.
From airless tires to KERS technology in the braking system, you will find all the fancy names on the specs sheet of this scooter. Front and rear suspension, double braking system, which includes magnetic brakes in the front, airless tires and options like cruise control and kick start, everything is present in this.
To me, the most compelling feature of this scooter is that you can ride this up a range of 21 miles on a single charge.
I am not sure if anyone wants to spend such a premium price for an electric kick scooter. But if you do, then Booster is there for you.
- This scooter is equipped with a brushless dc motor inside the front airless tires which can boost the speed up to 18 mph. It also has a range of 21 miles.
- It uses a magnetic brake (without any friction), which activates also the KERS (KINETIC ENERGY RECOVERY SYSTEM) technology and a rear foot brake that stops the scooter instantly, which makes the E-TWOW a very smooth, safe and comfortable ride. The KERS technology through the magnetic braking increases the scooter’s battery autonomy up to 50%.
- E-Twow also features front and rear suspension for a smooth and comfortable ride even in little rough terrain.
- It is a very light scooter weighing only 23lbs which can be folded from 3 points for easy commute.
- A LED display also indicates the speed, battery level, total and current trip mileage, ambient temperature and activated functions. There is also a sensor that turns the headlights ON when the ambient light is insufficient.
EcoReco M5 – Best one for VLOGers
EcoReco M5 is very similar to its predecessor except it has been improved with the built in rear suspension. This really improves the riding experience.
The most noticeable feature in this scooter is the gadget mount on the top of its handlebar. You can mount anything on that – be it your phone, GoPro or even a DSLR. If you are a VLOGer and looking for something as your ride, then definitely check this scooter out.
This scooter is very nicely built with aircraft grade aluminum. But as a downside, this scooter is a bit heavy.
Again like any other premium scooters, this one is also packed with features like LEDs (front and rear), display panel etc. The good thing is EcoReco is making this in two magnificent colors and you get an option to choose between blazing red or premium black.
- EcoReco M5 comes with a gadget mount which allows you to mount your phone, Go-Pro or even DSLR easily on the handle bar.
- It has a maximum cruising speed of 20 miles an hour and comes with a 745W brushless hub motor.
- The 36V 8ah LiFePO4 battery gets 80% charged in just 2 hours and fully in 4 .5 hours. This will allow you to cover a maximum range of 20 miles.
- Dual suspension is there along with front air wheel.
Momas – Light yet Strong
We have covered enough premium scooters here and yet again we have another one from the startup called e-Joe Bike. This is the second firm in our list which is raising money from crowdsourcing platform and yes they succeeded in making a very good product.
Unlike other scooters, Momas is using magnesium alloy in the body. This also makes the scooter very light, weighing only 28lbs, yet very sturdy.
As for the specifications, it is quite similar to all the other premium scooters. With a 350W e-motor, you can cruise at a maximum speed of 20 mph. Again keep in mind that maximum speed claimed by the company depends on a lot of factors which includes the rider’s weight, riding surface and so on. You can also take this scooter on the little rough surface thanks to the 10-inch inflated wheels. The braking system is also efficient as disc brakes are fitted on the rear wheel.
But one thing which disappoints me is that even at this price, there is no suspension on either of the wheels.
- This scooter has a powerful 350W brushless hub motor which give enough boost to reach speed up to 20 mph.
- The 10-inch inflated wheels provide a smooth ride over rough surfaces.
- Vented disc brakes mounted on the rear wheel of this scooter reduce the heat transfer for quick and smooth deceleration.
- This scooter also features a thumb drive throttle and an integrated dashboard display to track mileage, speed etc.
- It has a rechargeable Li-ion battery which can provide a range of up to 20 miles.
- It is a light weight scooter weighing 28lbs but can take 250lbs load.
Fuzion V-1000 – Expensive yet excellent
Just like any other pricey scooters, this one is also stuffed with all the features. The 500W motor is capable of generating enough power to get a speed of up to 20mph. This scooter has suspension on both front and rear so we can expect smooth ride even on a bit rough surface. It also has puncture free tires so you don’t have to worry about pieces of broken glasses or anything on the road.
However, as per many customers, this scooter does not do so well in rain or wet surface. So for your safety, we would recommend not to ride this on any wet surface.
- The 36V 8ah rechargeable Li-ion battery can power this scooter up to a range of 15 miles.
- It is equipped with a 500W brushless hub motor which can propel the solid foam core tires at a maximum speed of 20 mph.
- It has full front and rear spring suspension.
- This scooter has rear wheel drive and also has disc brake attached to the rear wheel.
- It features extra wide puncture free 8-inch solid rubber with air core tires.
- The company claims that the body is made of an aircraft grade aluminum frame.
- For the controls, it has a finger throttle along with a LED dashboard display.
- It can be fully charged in 6 hours.
- Fuzion V-1000 weighs 36lbs and has an easy-lock folding system.
Electric Scooter Buyer’s Guide
We have discussed a lot about the best electric kick scooters in the market but you don’t buy a scooter just because it has some cool features. Before buying, figure out why you want a scooter.
So let’s see the factors you should consider before buying one.
- Use of the scooter is the most important factor you need to consider before getting one. Are you going to keep it in the corner of your garage throughout the weekdays and only pull it out during the weekend to have fun with? Or you want to take it daily with you to your workplace and use for the commute? You need to figure this first.
- The weight of the scooter is also a very important factor. If you are using it for your daily commute, you don’t want to drag a heavy piece of metal daily on your office stairs or on the bus or train. It is always good to choose a scooter which weighs below 35lbs though some scooters weigh much less than that.
- Size and portability. It is very important to get a bike which can be folded very easily. There is no doubt that you are not going to ride an electric scooter all the time and at some point, you want to fold it up conveniently and carry it or just put it in your car’s boot.
- You don’t want the battery to dry up in the middle of the road anytime. Even you don’t want to stick a charger in the scooter after every time you ride it. So always get a scooter which will give you enough range.
You must be wondering if I have to buy an electric scooter for me then which one I would pick.Well, I have done enough research on the electric scooters and based on all my needs I will go for Glion Dolly. Though priced a little higher, it is a lightweight, easily foldable scooter which is perfect for by needs.
Many countries have various laws that strictly limits the maximum speed of any electric motor devices like skateboards and kick scooters. So even though the maximum speed in the specs sheet of your scooter is higher, you may not be able to reach that speed unless the motor is unlocked by the manufacturer. So before buying an electric scooter, check with the manufacturer for speed restrictions.
If you are interested also in other electric vehicles or news from alternative energy technologies, you can check out the following page: alternative-energy-news.info
Related buyer’s guides: